Friday, March 1, 2013

The Boro's Best Bakery.

I mentioned in passing the other day that the Boro got its first Duncan Donut shop, on the outskirts of town. It's right off the Interstate, and I'm sure that lots of folks heading to and from Florida will stop in. I'm glad it's here. Really, I am. I'll probably stop by once in a while, but my first gustatory love (other than the lovely Lady Di, of course) is in the heart of the Boro. I only have to walk a couple of blocks from my office to get a world-class treat in an unlikely-looking venue. Check out the cupcake at left. It's enough to make your smack your granny! Er, what I mean to say is it's really, really good. The cherry icing is fluffy and buttery, and the cake is light and ever so tasty. Her top seller is the red velvet cupcake, but the cinnamon twists and cookies are just as heavenly. The Old Bank Christmas Store and Bakery is tucked away in, well, an old bank building. Cindy's been selling Christmas baubles (ornaments, figurines, and knick-knacks) from a shop in the old Farmer's and Merchant's Bank building for years now, but a few months ago she started baking stuff for the general population (and there's fresh bread most Fridays!). In case you miss the sign on the door, the sandwich board near the corner is unambiguous. Oh, yeah. A lot of time, she'll have sandwiches and soup, too.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We have shops like that here, and they beat the chains everytime! Like you, I am glad the chains are available, but love the down-home taste too!

superdave524 said...

Amen, Anon. You can count on "pretty good" with most chains, but if you want food (or service) by people who care, you'll do better local. Plus, you get to spend time with nice people who know how to say more than, "Next!".

Anonymous said...

I was traveling and I have 2 small children ( 6mon and 3) and we read a few reviews and thought this was a family friendly place. Boy was I wrong. We got halfway to the bakery befor this older lady came running and screaming towards us. My kids are ALWAYS well behaved in public places( if they had a treat as a prize) anyways she confronted me and she said small children are not allowed in HER store. I was shocked when she told me this. We were passing through and that was a HORRIBLE impression of Walterboro. If no children are allowed then put a sigh up saying you are not a family friendly store, adults only. Also isn't denying someone service illegal by discrimination for having children. Just a thought.